[screensavers in redhat 7.0]

Matt Graham danceswithcrows@usa.net
25 Mar 2001 16:44:59 EST

John Wainright <wainrig2@pilot.msu.edu> wrote:
> A little more info on what I am doing.  In the gnome control center
> I can actually select a screensaver, and I can edit the options for any
> given screensaver, yet the only thing that it does in blank the screen
> after about 20 minutes (even when I have power saver turned off).
> I just figured I'd give you a little more information, seeing as my last
> message was a little too generic!

Are you doing this as root, or as a normal user?

I think most X-screensavers are disabled by default if you are root.  Don't
know for sure; I very rarely log into X as root, but ISTR reading about a
problem like this on news:comp.os.linux.misc .  "Don't log into X as root" is
a good idea anyway, on the general principle that you should never do anything
as root that you can do as a normal user.

If you're logged in as a normal user and still getting this problem, I'm
stumped... I don't have GNOME on my laptop or RedHat anywhere, and so can't
try to reproduce this.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows
There is no Darkness in Eternity