DSL/Cable in the W. Lansing area?

David Hamilton dhamilton@voyager.net
Mon, 26 Mar 2001 12:01:00 -0500

Ahhhhh...vent time!

In January I called Telocity.com for DSL service.  They assured me it would
take 6-8 weeks.

They have a nice web interface which shows the progress of your order.
After 3 weeks my order hadn't progressed past the 1st stage (should have
taken 3 days).  I called them back, only to find that they had lost my
order.

No problem.  I figured there might be some hiccups along the way.  I just
asked them to reprocess it.

3 weeks later I got an email telling me that Ameritech will come to my house
to run a new line.  Great!

I'm so excited!

Next day, I happened to mention it to a coworker.  He tells me that
Northpoint, the actual DSL provider, is having financial difficulties.  I
just shrugged it off thinking, "All the telco types are having issues right
now."

sigh...

After a few more weeks I gave them a call back.  There is a nice new prompt
on the phone queue telling me to dial a special number if I'm in Northpoint
territory.

Arrgghhh...

To make a long story short, I guess Northpoint went bankrupt.  All of their
customers will lose connectivity in 1 week.  Supposedly Telocity is "Working
with other carriers to provide service".

Arrgghhhh....

Sorry.  Had to vent.  I live on the East side of Lansing.

david.hamilton@voyager.net
On the ingredients label for all Spam, it says 'Pork with Ham'