major data processing into pdf

Marcel Kunath kunathma@pilot.msu.edu
Thu, 3 May 2001 22:34:37 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,

MSU is looking into eliminating the mailings of bills to students in some
fashion. I am not sure what plans they have but I know they are looking into
this. I was asked if I had any ideas of how billing could be done in the future
in an online access fashion.

Basically the way billing works is that a large data file gets spit out of the
mainframe and this text file is used to print bills. They wonder if there is
any way to turn manipulate the text file (scripts) and then create single PDF
files for each bill. The PDF files then should be accessible via the web.

Now I am certain in some way this is possible. I figured you could take the
text file (not sure the format of it right now) split it into separate files,
then run a parser and introduce tags for the content of each student bill. Then
you create a DTD and stylesheet using XML and use a program like jade to create
PDF files from the tagged student bills.

If anybody has better ideas or input please detail them. Note, this entire
process should be possible to automate as it has to run every night for a few
thousand students.

Disclaimer: This is just a research effort right now so don't go spreading
rumors.

mk