[multiple IPs on same NIC]

Matt Graham danceswithcrows@usa.net
9 May 2001 10:29:25 EDT

GATal@aol.com wrote:
> Greetings group,
>      On a recent Mandrake 7.2 install, I've been trying to configure two
>IP addresses on my 3com PCI card. One of the IPs will be assigned to me
>via dhcp by my provider, but the second IP I want to use would be for my
>home LAN (private IP space). I can get one of them to work at a time, but
>not both (by shutting one and bring the other up). Am I missing something
>here? Is this possible to do with one NIC? TIA...

Unless the card has 2 Ethernet interfaces on it, this is not going to work the
way you expect it to.  In general, you have one IP per Ethernet interface.
You can theoretically assign more than one IP to a single interface, but I
don't think it would work very well if at all for bridging between the Net at
large and a private address space like 192.168.0.0.

My recommendation would be to go buy another NIC; you can find 3c509B ISA
cards for about $10 and NE2000-PCI cards for about $20.  Make the slow one
your interface to the cable/DSL, as even a really good cablemodem will not
saturate a 10 Mbit line.  Look up the IP-Masqing HOWTO at
http://linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/ if you have questions about setting up IP-Masqing,
port forwarding, and NAT.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows
"I backed up my brain to tape, but tar says the tape contains no data...."