[rm -rf fails]

Matt Graham danceswithcrows@usa.net
19 May 2001 13:40:39 EDT

"Marcel Kunath" <kunathma@pilot.msu.edu> wrote:
> Have this annoying problem. Not sure what caused it.
>
> mail:/etc # chown root.root /usr/share/doc/packages/mailman/*
> chown: getting attributes of `/usr/share/doc/packages/mailman/README.SuSE':
> mail:/etc # chmod a+w /usr/share/doc/packages/mailman/
> mail:/etc # rm -rf /usr/share/doc/packages/mailman
> rm: cannot remove `/usr/share/doc/packages/mailman/TODO': Permission denied
> mail:/etc # ls -l /usr/share/doc/packages/mailman
> ls: /usr/share/doc/packages/mailman/TODO: Permission denied
> ls: /usr/share/doc/packages/mailman/UPGRADING: Permission denied
> ls: /usr/share/doc/packages/mailman/README.SuSE: Permission denied
> ls: /usr/share/doc/packages/mailman/gnu-COPYING-GPL: Permission denied
> total 9
> drwxrwxrwx    2 root     root          138 May 19 23:52 .
> drwxr-xr-x  359 root     root         8196 Apr 16 00:34 ..
>
> It's like these files don't exist but they are there.

Hmm.  A directory with a size of 138 is only possible with ReiserFS AFAIK.
lsattr and chattr don't work on ReiserFS, so it's not a problem with the
immutable flag.  Check the output of dmesg; if there's something weird going
on with the filesystem, there will be evidence there.  I posted a brief
semi-guide to fixing a broken ReiserFS filesystem on c.o.l.misc a few weeks
ago should it come to that.  (reiserfsck does *NOT* work like e2fsck or
dosfsck....)

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows
"I backed up my brain to tape, but tar says the tape contains no data...."