What SuSE's doing (was: Hello)

Ben Pfaff pfaffben@msu.edu
19 May 2001 20:15:38 -0400

[I just got back from Vegas so I'm a few days behind.  Indulge me
here.]

Matt Graham <danceswithcrows@usa.net> writes:

> Anyway, when the ISOs for SuSE 7.0 were removed from linuxiso.org, the text of
> the message from SuSE said this:
>
> "...the free version of SuSE 7.0 as provided on the evaluation CD image MAY
> NOT BE PROVIDED TO ANYONE IN EXCHANGE FOR MONEY but must be made freely
> available..." (emphasis mine)

This is probably illegal.  The GPL does not allow additional
restrictions on redistribution.  This includes such things as
compilation copyright.  So if there are any GPL'd programs on the
disc, then this additional restriction is disallowed.

My prediction: they'll hear from the Free Software Foundation's
lawyers, if they insist on this.  The restrictions will be
quietly lifted.

--
Ben Pfaff <pfaffben@msu.edu> <pfaffben@debian.org> <blp@gnu.org>
MSU Student - Debian GNU/Linux Maintainer - GNU Developer