Story from the Shoot Yourself in the Foot Dept.

Edward Glowacki glowack2@msu.edu
Thu, 24 May 2001 13:03:13 -0400

Quoted from Matt Graham on Thu, May 24, 2001 at 12:50:41PM -0400:
> Adam McDougall <mcdouga9@egr.msu.edu> wrote:
> > On Thu, 24 May 2001, Mark Szidik wrote:
> > > I didn't happen to notice that root entry for the shell was
> > > /sbin/sh so I accidentally changed the entry to /sbin/bash.
> > > WOOPS!  there is no bash in /sbin.  So my system is hosed, no
> > > root access!
>
> ...the "NEVER change root's default shell" camp likes to bring this argument
> up.

What I usually do is edit the password file, duplicate the "root"
line, change "root" to "Rejg" (R and my initials), change the name,
change the shell, save and exit.  I usually also do a "passwd Rejg"
to make sure the password gets resalted (i.e. the hash will be
different in the password file).

--
Edward Glowacki				glowack2@msu.edu
GLLUG Peon  				http://www.gllug.org