[Desktop]

Matt Graham danceswithcrows@usa.net
24 May 2001 21:28:03 EDT

"James Dooley" <james@Dooley3D.com> wrote:
>	MIME Type: multipart/alternative

Please don't do that; plain text suffices.

> I dont know how I did it...
> But when I run X (Which I always do now that I have RH7) and login as
> root... I do not get a desktop.
> It does not register keyclicks on the desktop... It is a plain blue
> background...
> When I login as a diffrent user it has the desktop.
> Also for some reason my sound does not work in root but works in other
> users...

Your system is trying to tell you "Don't run X as root!", and I advise you to
listen to it.  If for some reason you need to run an X-client as root, "xhost
+localhost", "su -", "export DISPLAY=0:0" and execute your X-client.

Or you can fix /root/.xinitrc or /root/.xsession , depending on whether you
log in via kdm/xdm/gdm or use startx from a command line.  There's more info
in the X presentation I gave last meeting.  Did you want to put that up on the
website?

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows
"I backed up my brain to tape, but tar says the tape contains no data...."