Linux costs more than Windows

Edward Glowacki glowack2@msu.edu
Thu, 31 May 2001 13:59:52 -0400

I'm looking at laptops, on which I will likely run Linux most of
the time.  I went to Dell's website and priced out a bunch of
models.  I found in the Small Business section the option for Linux
laptops!  Cool!!!  So I opened up another browser window and priced
two identical machines, one with WinME and Office XP Small Business
(and an internal 56k mini-PCI modem) and the other with Linux.
One was $1674 and the other was $1764.  Guess which was which...
;) For some reason, Red Hat Linux 7.0 costs $90 more than WinME
and Office XP *combined*!!!!  I suspect it would be another $50
more expensive for them to leave the hard drive *blank* and not
give me any software at all... =P

--
Edward Glowacki			glowack2@msu.edu
Michigan State University