Linux costs more than Windows

Ben Pfaff pfaffben@msu.edu
31 May 2001 15:13:24 -0400

"Marcel Kunath" <kunathma@pilot.msu.edu> writes:

> I liked Compaq's site. It's straight forward. No differentiation between
> customer groups. Unfortunately they also bundle but they hit more my price
> point.

I've gotta say, I *like* Compaq right now.  I have a new Compaq
Armada M700 and an old, very out-of-warranty docking station for
it.  I had some trouble with the docking station and called their
tech support.  First of all, there was no wait.  I admitted up
front both that it was out of warranty and that I was using Linux
(not officially supported) and the guy still talked to me for 20
minutes to resolve the problem.  He went to quite a bit of
trouble to find a manual for the docking station and emailed it
to me as a PDF file.

I can't say anything about the tech support for Presarios though.
I suspect it isn't as nice.
--
"While the Melissa license is a bit unclear, Melissa aggressively
 encourages free distribution of its source code."