OT: Ebay question

Mark Szidik szidikm@mlcnet.org
Thu, 1 Nov 2001 09:04:17 -0500 (EST)

I personally would not have used Marcel's words, but he has a
very good point.  All big U.S. corporations tend to put people
in the front-line trenches of customer service that have a woeful
lack of training.  This is, IMHO, the heart of Marcel's comment.

Think of Ed's recent problems with cable modems, my many
miserable experiences with Ameritech, etc., etc., etc.  Every
time I call a large company to place an order or for support I
run into people that know virtually nothing about their employers
own products and services.  I can't even count the number of
people at Ameritech that I have talked to about DSL that had
never even heard of it!  Ever ask an Ameritech phone rep to talk
to a manager?  Its like asking them to answer whats the qubed
root of 65.14.

These companies think of employees as cogs in the machinery and
don't spend a second to think of the impression that this leaves
the customer with.

I feel that the front-line people in any organizations should be
just as well trained and informed as anyone in the company.  They
are the interface between the company and the company - they
should make a good imoression.

I totally understand Marcel's fustration.  I would have used
different words, but his point is valid.

-Mark