[Database Report Tool]

Jason Watson jaywatts@hotmail.com
Thu, 01 Nov 2001 22:53:01 -0500

You can think of CR as a sort of a desktop publishing for database reports.
You drag around fields that correspond to static data, database fields,
pictures, lines, boxes, etc.  You then can dump the contents of a database
or query and it comes out as a nice, polished looking report. You can also
put formulas, logical expressions, string formatting, etc. also.  This is
useful to add up items, only show a picture or some text if a certain field
in the database is set and other things.  CR can do tons of other things as
well but this is a brief explanation of the bread and butter things it does.

Jason Watson
jaywatts@hotmail.com

----Original Message Follows----
From: Matt Graham <danceswithcrows@usa.net>
To: linux-user@egr.msu.edu
Subject: Re: [Database Report Tool]
Date: 31 Oct 2001 08:34:28 EST
Sender: linux-user-admin@egr.msu.edu

"Jason Watson" <jaywatts@hotmail.com> wrote:
 > I have been playing with MySQL and can create tables, run queries and
 > all that stuff but I was wondering if there was some kind of free
 > software report writer.  I was thinking something along the lines of
 > Crystal Reports.  Is something like this available for Linux or am I
 > completely off base and  there is a different method of doing this.

A couple of months back, some people asked about a Linux version of "Crystal
Reports" on c.o.l.misc and got nothing useful.  Well, the original posters
couldn't describe what exactly Crystal Reports did that was so wonderful,
and
apparently none of the people reading the NG had used the program, so no one
could suggest alternatives.

So:  What do you need to do with your data?  There are N+1 ways to get data
out of a MySQL database, even if you have to write a Perl or PHP script to
do
it.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows
"I backed up my brain to tape, but tar says the tape contains no data...."