Setting up a new machine was RE: GLLUG

Sean picasso@madflower.com
Thu, 8 Nov 2001 05:36:49 -0500 (EST)

We havent organized one, because no one has, I personally don't relaly
have a whole lot of time to breathe in the next 2 months or so.

I don't know what is wrong with our website??? Does anyone know??

You are looking at several separate issues. It is best to ask if you you
are asking specific questions, what you have asked is about 12 different
questions.

-you need to pick a Linux distribution, Redhat, Mandrake, Debian, SUSE,
etc. Some distributions are better configured for this sort of thing than
others.

-look to see if your hardware is supported especially your video and sound
cards.

-than you need to set up your networking, you will want to paying
attention to the current FIREWALL thread. A firewall blocks access by
other users.

-You will want to read some documentation on IP masuerading using either
ipchanins, or iptables.  or IP forwarding, depending on how your network
is configured. This services will let you use both nic cards for your
internal and external networks.

-you can then setup services, like mail, dns, web, ssh, etc.