ascii file printing

Marcel Kunath kunathma@pilot.msu.edu
Sat, 10 Nov 2001 05:35:01 -0500 (EST)

Hello,

I have this problem since two years but never really bothered since I had a
workaround. Now I don't have the workaround anymore and it annoys.

I set up a HP printer with lprng and ifhp. It prints everything except ascii
text files. Those get printed in the form

1st line
    2nd line
        3rd line

The carriage return problem I am sure many of you are aware of.

I don't get it. I always thought ifhp filter is suppose to take care of this.
Why doesn't it? I used to have a Postscript printer. The workaround was to use
enscript. Now I have a HP LJ 6P which isn't postscript and I wonder how you
print ascii to such printer. The problem sounds totally moronic and lame but
nowhere is mentioned how to print ascii files via ifhp filter to a
non-postscript printer. Nowhere is mentioned how to print ascii to a postscript
printer via ifhp without addition of enscript or a2ps.

my printcap:

smurf:cm=Local Printer smurf:\
    :lp=/dev/lp0:\
    :sd=/var/spool/lpd/%P:\
    :ifhp=model=hp6p,status@:\
    :sh:\
    :filter=/usr/local/libexec/filters/ifhp:\
    :mx#0

Thanks,

mk