Securing windows 2000?

Edward Glowacki glowack2@msu.edu
Mon, 12 Nov 2001 16:18:23 -0500

Anyone know where to find a decent guide to securing
a Windows 2000 machine?  I've been online with the laptop in Windows
a lot more lately, both at work and at home with the new cable modem,
and I want to at least *try* to be somewhat secure... ;)  Also, suggested
tools such as firewalls and virus scanners would probably be a good idea.

So far I've done:
    upgraded system via windows update
    sharing is disabled (may enable it for LAN parties, etc. )
    went through the settings on IE and made my best guess...
    went through running services looking for obvious bad ones (none found...)

As for use of the machine, it's mainly SSH (using putty) and web
browsing, with the occasional DVD and LOTR trailer watching. ;)
That is to say, "I will initiate all connections and I don't want
uninvited guests!"  I'll probably set up samba and do file sharing
at home once I get NAT and the firewall in place between my laptop
and the cable modem... =)  Actually, NAT and the firewall should
help security at home too, which will be good.  Layers are good.
Ogres are like onions, they have layers.  Ogres have layers.
Onions have layers.  Hehehe, sorry, a little Shrek snuck in there...

--
Edward Glowacki				glowack2@msu.edu
GLLUG Peon  				http://www.gllug.org