Securing windows 2000?

Paul_Melson@keykertusa.com Paul_Melson@keykertusa.com
Mon, 12 Nov 2001 16:52:45 -0500

>Anyone know where to find a decent guide to securing
>a Windows 2000 machine?  I've been online with the laptop in Windows
>a lot more lately, both at work and at home with the new cable modem,
>and I want to at least *try* to be somewhat secure... ;)  Also, suggested
>tools such as firewalls and virus scanners would probably be a good idea.

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/securwinserv/

Can't do much better than an O'Reilly book on the subject.

If it's standalone (eg. not part of a domain or directory) and you've
already done the leg work for configuring Linux to do IP filtering, you can
use Win2K's filtering to establish a set of basic traffic rules that would
be "good enough" for most client scenarios using your existing rules as a
framework for how to configure Windows.  From your current network
connection, you open the properties page for "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)",
click the "Advanced" button, and you'll find it there on the "Options" tab.
And it's always a good idea to go through the Services administrative tool
and disable anything you don't need running.

PaulM