OpenSSH and SSH compatability finally solved!

Edward Glowacki glowack2@msu.edu
Thu, 15 Nov 2001 14:58:13 -0500

For the longest time I've had trouble getting scp to work between
OpenSSH and SSH.com versions of the software.  Finally today I
figured out the answer and I'm able to transfer files from server
to server.  Quoted from an archived email
(http://www.mail-archive.com/ssh%40clinet.fi/msg06901.html):

--- start quote ---
ssh.com's sftp2 and scp2 use the sftp protocol over ssh protocol v2

openssh's scp uses the rcp protocol over ssh protocol v1 and v2

openssh's sftp uses the sftp protocol over ssh protocol v1 and v2

so if you want to use an openssh client to get files from a
ssh.com server you have to use 'sftp' since 'scp' does not
implement the 'sftp' protocol.
--- end quote ---

So to go from an OpenSSH client to an SSH.com v2 server, you need
to use sftp.  To go from an SSH.com v2 client to an OpenSSH server,
you need to enable the sftp subsystem by adding
"Subsystem sftp    /usr/libexec/sftp-server" to your sshd_config
file. (change the path to the sftp-server as needed)

Hope that helps anyone who may have been having trouble with the
same thing... =)

--
Edward Glowacki				glowack2@msu.edu
GLLUG Peon  				http://www.gllug.org