@Home installation

Paul_Melson@keykertusa.com Paul_Melson@keykertusa.com
Tue, 2 Oct 2001 11:58:52 -0400

>Is it enough to just say to the tech, "Get the modem working, I'll
>do my own software, thankyouverymuch?"  Also, as far as buying vs.
>renting a cable modem, they say you can save $10/mo if you provide
>your own modem, does that include the first 3 months at $19.95
>(making them $9.95)?  And did I read the LUG list correctly that
>you just need to run DHCP with a hostname option to connect?

When you order the service, you can specify that you want a "modem-only"
install and that's all they do, which if you already have a cable outlet
where you want it, isn't much.  They'll just drop off the software (which
amounts to a custom install of IE - yuk!) and let you do your thing.

I don't think that the cable modem rental is part of the introductory rate,
but I don't know for certain.  I'm renting mine.  It's an RCA.  Looks like
an old Global Village 9600bps modem.

As far as static vs. DHCP, just read the work order when you get it - the
yellow piece of paper with your account information, DNS servers, machine
name, etc.  They provide a static IP for troubleshooting purposes but
encourage you to use DHCP.  Either one works great and will resolve to
[yournodeid].lnsng#.home.com.  You do have to provide a machine name to
"authenticate" to the DHCP server.

Also, I've been noticing performance problems in the early morning.  And I
don't mean poor latency.  Like 90-100% packet loss to the nearest hop.
Resetting the modem and/or rebooting doesn't seem to help.  I've got a cron
job running now to track performance and I'll be e-mailing them to detail
my problems at the end of the week.  Just an FYI - might want to keep an
eye on yours.

PaulM