debian

Marcel Kunath kunathma@pilot.msu.edu
Wed, 3 Oct 2001 16:20:23 -0400 (EDT)

I was giving Debian my first try. I downloaded rescue, root and driver-1 disks.
The ones for reiserfs since the drive was already partitioned and reisered. It
booted fine and seemed to see my motherboard davicom ethernet hookup. It
reported via rhine driver. Once in the menu it reported no ethernet cards to be
found. The same with a RTL8139 in the pci slot. NFS install was a no go
therefore. I am kind of surprised ftp install is no option. I guess you can
install base over NFS and then switch to ftp for the rest?!

So I gave harddisk install a try. I put in my /dev/hdb partitionless ext2 drive
with debian tree on it. It saw the drive on boot but it gave me no option to
install base from it since it probably requires partitioned drives. SuSE can be
installed from partitionless drives so I guess I was expecting too much. I
suppose I should really get away from using partitionless drives...

I am a bit disappointed but I haven't given up. I just tried to see what
options of installs I got with Debian and it seems that maybe my network cards
are not right for the job and I have to stick to CD base install and then make
a switch to nfs or ftp?!

mk