Print-to-Mail

Paul_Melson@keykertusa.com Paul_Melson@keykertusa.com
Thu, 4 Oct 2001 11:55:03 -0400

I'm looking to configure an lpd-style print queue, which instead of
printing jobs submitted to the queue will deliver them via
sendmail/postfix.  I figured it would be worth my while to see if anyone
knows of an existing project that does this or something very similar
before I begin to re-invent the wheel.  Searches of Freshmeat and Tucows
were fruitless.  I figure that a store-and-forward type queue with no real
printer defined would be a good place to start, and from there just build a
script that would mail out each file in the queue directory and then unlink
them.  The files will be text from Solaris/Oracle systems, so they
shouldn't require any filtering or MIME encoding before sending them out.
Can anyone see any problems I'm likely to encounter in setting this up?

Thanks,
PaulM