lilo, moving boot disk

rockwell@pa.msu.edu rockwell@pa.msu.edu
Sat, 06 Oct 2001 17:43:33 -0400

This is one of those questions that is sometimes hard to find the answer
to - usually documentation cleary says what a product _can_ do, but not
what it _can't_.

Anyways, it true that there is no way to use lilo to setup booting on a
harddisk that you are going to move to different location?  e.g. if I'm
installing a system on a new disk attached at /dev/hdb, but I want to be
able to boot this disk as /dev/hda (after moving disk to a new
machine...).  My understanding is that, I have to install the disk as
/dev/hda and then boot a recovery system from floppy or CDROM and run lilo.

Thanks,
Tom