CAT5 cables

Paul_Melson@keykertusa.com Paul_Melson@keykertusa.com
Tue, 9 Oct 2001 11:19:12 -0400

>You can also go wireless...  I think the price on the wireless router just
>dropped in price.  I'm sure it would be more expensive, but it would be
>cool.

The drawback is that 802.11 is 11Mbps (22Mbps w/ compression) compared to
10/100 or even Gigabit with CAT5.  Additionally, you can use CAT5 for your
phone lines as well, though you have to drop two pairs at the junction box
(making it technically CAT3).

>Can linux do wireless? (I'm more on the win side at this point, but don't
>throw any stones).

Yes, very well, in fact.  It's been a kernel modules since 2.2.x.

PaulM