CAT5 cables

Edward Glowacki glowack2@msu.edu
Tue, 9 Oct 2001 11:33:49 -0400

Quoted from Paul_Melson@keykertusa.com on Tue, Oct 09, 2001 at 11:19:12AM -0400:
> >You can also go wireless...  I think the price on the wireless router just
> >dropped in price.  I'm sure it would be more expensive, but it would be
> >cool.
>
> The drawback is that 802.11 is 11Mbps (22Mbps w/ compression) compared to
> 10/100 or even Gigabit with CAT5.  Additionally, you can use CAT5 for your
> phone lines as well, though you have to drop two pairs at the junction box
> (making it technically CAT3).

I'm leanin' towards the quick and easy approach: 2x 100' patch
cables @ ~$13.00 each.  I was thinking cables that size would be
in the $20-$25 range, at which point it might make sense to go with
a spool and ends, but for only $13/ea, premade cables might be a
better choice...

--
Edward Glowacki				glowack2@msu.edu
GLLUG Peon  				http://www.gllug.org