email problem

Mike Rambo mrambo@lsd.k12.mi.us
Mon, 15 Oct 2001 11:24:44 -0400

We're using apache/php/mysql for our repair database in the shop.

We need to send an email to an outside 'official' email address under
certain circumstances. What I've run into is that the server (running
sendmail) sends the email and sets the From: address to be from the user
apache runs under on the server box  (nobody@server.domain.local in this
case). This email gets kicked back from the outside mail server (not
under our control) as being an invalid email address.

Is there a way to make the email appear to come from a valid user on the
outside server (repair@lsd.k12.mi.us in this case) so it won't get
rejected? I've tried setting the From: attribute in the php mail()
function without any success. The From: gets correctly set in the email
itself but this has no effect on the account it is sent from using the
database system.

Oddly enough, if I set kmail on my workstation to use the same server
box to send mail but specify a valid address that the email comes from I
find that all mail forwards through the box just fine. I've looked
through the sendmail config but haven't found anything. I know the box
can forward the mail and I know the outside server will accept it so
long as it comes from a valid email address but I can't get the
apache/php stuff to use the address I need. What am I missing?

Thanks.

--
Mike Rambo
mrambo@lsd.k12.mi.us