email problem

Paul_Melson@keykertusa.com Paul_Melson@keykertusa.com
Mon, 15 Oct 2001 14:24:24 -0400

>The box is the district scnc server and runs some variant of BSD.
>
>I just ran the php script you supplied. Same results I was getting. A
>check of the mail log show the same DSN error and an email check for
>root on the database server reveals another message saying that an email
>to picasso... failed because the user nobody@server.domain.local is not
>a valid user.

It looks like it's being denied because Sendmail also does a reverse
look-up on the sender domain, and forged domains are dropped.  In this
case, I think what will fix this, at least to an extent, is to edit the
httpd.conf file for Apache and set 'BindAddress' to a name that can also be
added either to the /etc/hosts file on the SCNC box or to the Bind host
table (there's a cheesy web interface for both of these if your SCNC
administrator is afraid of vi).  You will still get mail from
apacheuser@hostname, but it should at least deliver.

PaulM