email problem

Mike Rambo mrambo@lsd.k12.mi.us
Mon, 15 Oct 2001 16:14:54 -0400

Paul_Melson@keykertusa.com wrote:

> >The box is the district scnc server and runs some variant of BSD.
> >
> >I just ran the php script you supplied. Same results I was getting. A
> >check of the mail log show the same DSN error and an email check for
> >root on the database server reveals another message saying that an email
> >to picasso... failed because the user nobody@server.domain.local is not
> >a valid user.
>
> It looks like it's being denied because Sendmail also does a reverse
> look-up on the sender domain, and forged domains are dropped.  In this
> case, I think what will fix this, at least to an extent, is to edit the
> httpd.conf file for Apache and set 'BindAddress' to a name that can also be
> added either to the /etc/hosts file on the SCNC box or to the Bind host
> table (there's a cheesy web interface for both of these if your SCNC
> administrator is afraid of vi).  You will still get mail from
> apacheuser@hostname, but it should at least deliver.
>
> PaulM

Another department controls the scnc server. There will not be any
changes forthcoming there. If I am to solve this I'll have to do it on
the box over which I have some control. It appears that sendmail allows
for reverse mapping of local users. I'll have to see if I can figure out
how to make this work for me - if it will at all.

--
Mike Rambo
mrambo@lsd.k12.mi.us