Another Postfix-ish question

Matt Fuerst fuerstma@msu.edu
Tue, 16 Oct 2001 22:59:04 -0400

Well I am exploring my Relaying options, I appreciate all of your sharing
your mind with me...

(All Redhat network) One more question... I have postfix set up on my
machine, named luckycharms. I have another machine on my network named
fruitloops.  I have my DNS Record set up for luckycharms to be my Mail
Server. This works great, I send mail to fuerstma@mydomain.com and it flows
right into luckycharms.mydomain.com. Viola.

However, when I send mail while logged into luckycharms... problem.

The mail arrives at its destination, with a FROM and REPLY address of
fuerstma@fruitloops.mydomain.com. Argh. This happens with both elm and pine
so I imagine it is not a setting specific to an e-mail client.

man mail, man postfix don't seem to tell me where this value is coming from.

On luckycharms, contents of /etc/HOSTNAME: luckycharms.mathosting.com
HOSTNAME within /etc/sysconfig/network is luckycharms.

I can't imagine where else it would be finding the name FRUITLOOPS at all,
really. I have an entry for fruitloops in my /etc/hosts file but that is it.

I'm sorry for the spam.. I honestly ran into this error (I thought relaying
was the only one!) While trying to subscribe to the postfix mailing list to
begin lurking there and hopefully picking up some of these answer w/o
bothering you all...

Matt

Matt Fuerst
fuerstma@msu.edu