HD failure

Mark Szidik szidikm@mlcnet.org
Sat, 20 Oct 2001 22:45:06 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 18 Oct 2001, Jason Watson wrote:

> I know this sounds goofy and I'm not entirely sure why it works but if it's
> a hardware failure I've read lots of articles that say to seal the drive in
> a zip lock bag and put it in the freezer overnight.  When the drive is real
> good and cold hook it back up and do what you can to backup/copy the data on
> the drive.  I had to do this once a while back on an old 250 Mb IDE drive
> that was making ticking noises and not spinning up.  After freezing the
> drive it spun up and worked long enough for me to recover the data.  Hope
> this helps or at least gets a dumbfounded look or chuckle. :)

Well I sure did get a chuckle out of this.  We sent the drive off
to Skip, who does data recovery.  (maybe he just has a really
good freezer? :-).

If he cant recover the data, I'll pop it into the old frigidaire
and see what happens.  Maybe I should wait until January and good
old Michigan -10 temps and leave it outside over night!

-Mark