[Re: [Re: Hi]]

Matt Graham danceswithcrows@usa.net
9 Sep 2001 17:20:25 EDT

"Daniel R . Kilbourne" <drk@voyager.net> wrote:
> No, it is not static. You can lose the address, although it does not
> happen often. They use Microsoft
> DHCP, which pings an address before assigning it. So, if your modem is
> off, it is possible to lose your IP.
>
> By the way, running ANY service is against their AUP.

...which is an extremely good reason to get the TCI service if it's
available in your area.  AT&T actually has two TOSes that apply to their
service, the AT&T one and the Excite one.  Both are weasel-worded and
evil, but only the Excite one actually says "No servers of any kind
allowed."  (This means that running an OpenNap, Gnutella, or Freenet
client is against the AUP too.  Since mp3s and pr0n are the real killer
apps for high-speed access, you really have to wonder here.)  The AT&T one
specifically mentions news servers, but that's it.

Enforcement is typically selective, of course.  They'll notice if you peg
the upstream 24/7, but a "normal" HTTP or SMTP server will slip under the
radar.  If they were smart, they wouldn't cap the upstream or impose silly
restrictions, but it appears they're trying to market the service to Joe
AOLuser.  Sigh.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows
"I backed up my brain to tape, but tar says the tape contains no data...."