[Re: Hi]

Ben Holcomb ben@bholcomb.com
Sun, 09 Sep 2001 17:37:39 -0400

At 04:55 PM 09/09/01, you wrote:
>No, it is not static. You can lose the address, although it does not
>happen often. They use Microsoft
>DHCP, which pings an address before assigning it. So, if your modem is
>off, it is possible to lose your IP.

What seems to be happening here, at least, what looks like is happening by
looking at my modem "status web 'server'" is that the actual coax input on
the modem is like its own NIC.. and has its own MAC address.. And that it
obtains an IP in the 10.*.*.* range from the DHCP server which happens to
be 24.179.208.91. Now, it also is given the outside IP address by the DHCP
server, which from all experience with people who use @home, stays static
for years on end. I could be wrong, but this is what seems to be happening.

Ben Holcomb
ben@bholcomb.com