Another new person

Jason Green greenja6@msu.edu
Mon, 10 Sep 2001 09:37:40 -0400

Hi, I just recently subscribed to this list as well.  I work full time as
the  IT guy for a property management company.  We currently run Citrix
Win/Metaframe for our main productivity environment.  We have 90+ remote
clients that use Dial-up networking to connect to our servers and run a DOS
application that tracks rents, vacancies, etc.  I just started using linux,
and I'm pretty impressed at what it can do so far.  I've been on the
MS-bandwagon for about 12 years now, and I'm a little tired of their
licensing practices.  So, I'm now looking for alternatives.  TightVNC seems
like it might be an option as a Citrix replacement...  Still shopping,
though.

I'm also a student at MSU part time for Computer Science.  I've lived in
Lansing for about a year and a half.  To the person looking for a computer
shop, there is a small store named "Used Computers" located on Cedar St.,
about 1/2 mile south of Jolly Rd.  Also, the Holiday Inn at Cedar and I-96
(exit 104) has computer swap meets every month or so.  You can call them to
find out when the next one will be.

Also, does anyone know of any decent document management solutions that
incorporate security?  My supervisor wants to go to Exchange, and I'm not
that keen on depending further on MS products right now.  I found a
potential candidate at http://columbus.arup.com/.  Anyway, I'm looking
forward to learning more about alternative OS's and software.  Oh yeah, I'm
looking for an easy-to-use PDF writer, too.  Adobe's is great (but not
free), and simple to teach end users.  If anyone can help, please let me
know.  Thanks!

Jason Green
IT Coordinator, Lansing Management