Another new person

Paul_Melson@keykertusa.com Paul_Melson@keykertusa.com
Mon, 10 Sep 2001 12:40:10 -0400

>> Good Morning,
>> >From what I have seen, VNC is very similar to PCAnywhere or Timbuktu,
and
>> not really a multi-user terminal, such as X or Citrix, or even
Mickeysoft
>> Terminal Server (yuck)......does anyone know of any opensource packages
for
>> win32 that function in a way similar to citrix or terminal server?
>
>Perhaps the Linux Terminal Server Project??
>
>http://www.ltsp.org/index.php

I suppose you could use LTSP & VMWare to deliver DOS/Win apps under Linux
(kinda), but I wouldn't volunteer to support such a beast.  You'd need some
pretty heavy-duty hardware, too, as VMWare will suck up system resources at
an alarming pace.  I suppose DOSEmu and/or Wine could be used as well, but
you'd need to verify that each and every app you want to run is stable
under your emulator before putting it into production.

As a side note, Citrix does ship an ICA client for Linux/X11.  At the very
least, you could use cheezy older 486/586 hardware w/ basic Xfree86
installs instead of buying new thin clients.  Just a thought.

PaulM