making ISO images

Nick Lewis lewisnic@egr.msu.edu
Mon, 10 Sep 2001 21:39:34 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 10 Sep 2001, Edward Glowacki wrote:

<snip>
>Hmmm... maybe I should write up all this stuff in detail and see
>if anyone is interested in helping build it.
<snip>

You might want to check out jigdo. I just saw an announcement in the
Debian Weekly News.

http://lists.debian.org/debian-cd/2001/debian-cd-200109/msg00000.html

>From the man page:

"For example, if you wish to distribute an ISO9660 image which contains a
snapshot of an FTP server, you can instruct jigdo-file to prepare the
download data in such a way that when people use jigdo to download the
image, jigdo actually fetches the individual files from the FTP server and
assembles them into an exact copy of your image - during the download! (If
the image is not a filesystem dump, you can use split(1) to create the
small parts that the image will be reassembled from.)

You are completely free to choose where the individual parts of the image
are stored: They may be in entirely different directories on different
servers (e.g. because of storage/bandwidth constraints), but this is
invisible to the people downloading your image, who only tell jigdo to
download one `.jigdo' file."

It looks like it might do some of what you want, if it compiles/works on
BSD?

HTH. Nick.