File Conversion

Ben Pfaff pfaffben@msu.edu
13 Sep 2001 11:30:50 -0400

James Dooley <james@Dooley3D.com> writes:

> I uploaded a file in ASCII format. But the file needs to be in Binary
> format. I dont feel like re-uploading the 77mb file... Is there a function
> that can do the conversion on the server

You transferred a binary file, using FTP or some such, in ASCII
transfer mode?  Sorry, there is no way to perform the reverse
conversion reliably--it is a one-way transformation that cannot
be reversed.  You must redo the transfer in binary mode.

The situations where you should use ASCII mode are limited.  In
general, use binary mode for everything.