irda?

Ben Pfaff pfaffben@msu.edu
17 Sep 2001 11:52:10 -0400

rockwell@pa.msu.edu writes:

>  > Has anyone out there actually got IrDA to work with Linux?
>
> I use it to sync my palm III with my portable running linux.   It took
> me a fair bit of poking to get the Palm IR sync working, though  it
> really isn't all that difficult - I have a recipe on my website for the
> palm.  I haven't tried a printer - some of the basic configuration may
> transfer though.
>
> Can you tell us what you have done?

Well, I started by compiling in the various drivers (kernel 2.4.6
because that's what I was running anyway) and tried to insert
several of them.  The irtty and irport drivers were the only ones
that would load, so I tried irattach (version 0.9.14) with each
of those in turn.  irattach reports that it is searching for
other devices to connect to, but never actually finds anything.

The HOWTOs were unclear on whether the serial driver should be
set up for the port that corresponds to the IrDA interface, so I
tried it both with and without deconfiguring the IrDA serial port
with `setserial /dev/ttyS2 uart none irq 0 port 0'.

In short, I was confused, so I tried all the logical permutations,
and none of them worked.
--
"GNU does not eliminate all the world's problems,
 only some of them."