[httpd problem]

Matt Graham danceswithcrows@usa.net
21 Sep 2001 21:40:49 EDT

"Marcel Kunath" <kunathma@pilot.msu.edu> wrote:

[snip funky DNS problems]

> PS: BTW I did get on reiserfs list and worked further on my mkreiserfs
> /dev/hdb problem. I spend some time writing zeros to drives and etc.
> Eventually I figured out that the 8 gig seagate and 45 gig wdc drive
> didn't like being on same controller. Once I moved my drive into:
>
> /dev/hda seagate
> /dev/hdc wdc1
> /dev/hdd wdc2
>
> I could mkreiserfs /dev/hd(c,d) just fine.

Western Digital drives used to be notorious for this sort of bad behavior.
 I haven't heard of many of these problems recently, though, and my own
experiences with WD drives have been trouble-free (knock on formica.)
This is a weird way for it to show up, though--usually the errors are
immediately fatal, and reads and writes will just not work, instead of
writes (as in mkreiserfs) working and reads (as in mount) failing....

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows
"I backed up my brain to tape, but tar says the tape contains no data...."