Sparcstation 5 Keyboard & Mouse

Sean picasso@madflower.com
Mon, 24 Sep 2001 05:20:00 -0400 (EDT)

MSU salvage is probably the best place to snag a keyboard locally. You
will need to check the keyboard before you buy it to make sure it is not a
PS/2 the PC type, I think the one I had was Sun 5c keyboard and you will
need the optical mouse and mousepad most likely too. Try:
http://www.sparcproductdirectory.com/mi.html

I know a couple of people that got some good deals on tadpoles from Great
Lakes computers a couple of years ago.

Linux Sparc, I didnt try debian, but I did try RedHat and it ran pretty
well, the install was pretty straightforward but that was off a Cd-rom
which I believe needs a Sun ROM. It ran okay but you will want to bump up
the ram to around 48meg minimum if you want to run the gui ( I have
2-32meg sticks hanging around I would be willing to part with for quite
cheap)

You can do a netinstall for solaris but Im not sure Linux suppports it
yet. IIRC there is a boot floppy, in which you can install via ftp or nfs
to those machines for Redhat.

but you will need a boot device like the floppy drive.

I DO have a drive with the Solaris 6 or 7 install on it, you can borrow if
you need.