[GLLUG] root access

Charles Williams willcha@sme.org
Thu, 11 Apr 2002 10:14:42 -0400

While on the subject of root access ...

We are on Solaris and some of our web team have found a way to "break in" to
root access with ws_ftp to upload files (usually html or gifs) from their
wintel pc. I know I've tried this out: with ws_ftp I can delete a file I
don't have privileges for. Then I can upload my own version over it. One of
our more creative graphic guys uses ws_ftp to mount our web server on his pc
I think. (I haven't tried or actually seen this but I've seen results of
it.) None of this is a big deal since we're all on good terms with each
other and our group is transitioning to a more secure way of life. In the
meantime, has anyone else experienced this problem? Do you know a fix for
it?

- chuck williams