[GLLUG] root access

Charles Williams willcha@sme.org
Fri, 12 Apr 2002 14:57:59 -0400

This had been a situation earlier and your thread reminded me of it.
I went to try out some things you folks are questioning.

I tried this out as myself (willcha) and NOT as root.

1.) A directory I have ownership in (by way of my group). A file I don't
have permission for.
I can ftp the file to my hard drive.
I can delete this file from the Solaris Unix web server while I'm in ws_ftp.
I can then replace the file on the Solaris Unix server and it now has my
ownership.

2.) A directory I don't have ownership in. A file I don't have ownership
privileges for.
I can't copy the file to my hard drive.
Can't delete with ws_ftp.

Dennis (below) says it's "definitely the default" and if that's so then I
can cautiously say that such installations here are done by the defaults.

And pfaffben says it's "allowed" and not a security hole. Ok. I'll buy that.
There's lots of things that make me wonder and this was one of them.

Thanks for clearing this up.

--chuck williams

This problem is most likely related to misconfiguration... either with
the ftp server, user(s), file ownership/permissions, etc.

This is definately the default for any version of Solaris I have used
(2.5 - 8)

Dennis
______