[GLLUG] Debian

Paul Donahue donahu16@pdonahue.com
Mon, 15 Apr 2002 23:49:46 -0400

Lindows = wine on debian + cool graphics/install (mostly) = whine
vmware = virtual machine w/ real windows OS = less whine = stuff actually runs right (if a windows program can?)

just from my experiance.. i could be on crack, but it's been wearing off :)

pd

"Paul Donahue" <donahu16@pdonahue.com> writes:

> I now know why they say: "RedHat for shirt and tie, Debian for
> hackers" or some such from whoever "they" are.

That's one of my sigquotes:

"Debian for hackers, Red Hat for suits, Slackware for loons."
--CmdrTaco <URL:http://slashdot.org/articles/99/03/22/0928207.shtml>

> PS. on the newbie tip..... If you're (or someone u know) is just
> getting into linux but is a pretty good windows person, check into
> Lindows. They're billing it as a replacement for windows. I personally
> feel it's a good product for someone wanting to get into linux but
> find it a big first step. A good intermediate especially for someone
> very familiar with windows and vaguely familiar with *nix.

I have a suspicion that VMware sucks less than Lindows, at least
at this point in their respective evolutionary levels.  And I say
this as a person who now knows in great detail many of the ways
in which VMware sucks.
--
"ATM, I'm expecting Vol. 4 to come out before I die, but I
 confidently expect that Vols. 5-7 will be written by Knuth's