[GLLUG] Meeting

Brad Fears fearsb@michigan.gov
Tue, 16 Apr 2002 13:46:33 -0400

Not entirely -- the methods bother me to.  You see, we can discuss next week's meeting until we turn blue in the face, and I guarantee that people will still post messages next Tuesday, asking if there will be a meeting on Wednesday.  There probably won't be as many this time around as there normally are, due to the high number of "meeting" messages being passed back and forth (they're hard miss), but there will be some.

IMHO a more "complicated page" would be one of the things this lug needs in order to draw in more subscribers.  Is it so ridiculous to question the current methods in order to assess their effectiveness?  Sure things have worked in the past, but we should also take advantage of technoligical advancements that were not around when the shotgun-like systems were implemented.

--Brad Fears

>>> Brian Hoort <hoortbri@msu.edu> 04/16/02 01:27PM >>>
$0.02

It seems to me that the previously-unstated rule underlying calling a
meeting is that you must have a location. If I wanted a meeting this
Wednesday, I would either have it at my house or find a restaurant with a
banquet hall willing to let us use the facilities, etc..

If I may stab at a guess, it appears what bothers Brad about the current
system isn't the method so much as the timing -- that meetings aren't
announced week/s in advance. This can be fixed without complicating the
webmasters job with a more complicated page, or changing our system -- this
is why I (and perhaps others?) suggested that the meeting be next week
rather than tomorrow.