[GLLUG] Sick of SSL questions yet?

Melson, Paul PMelson@sequoianet.com
Fri, 19 Apr 2002 01:06:07 -0400

I think you're probably stuck buying cert files from VeriSign or another
recognized CA.  Watch their website for deals.  Lately they've been
selling for ~$100, which is considerably cheaper than I have ordered
them for in the past.

Of course, there are other issues with VeriSign that can make them a
less-than-attractive CA.  It really depends on whether you want to avoid
warning pop-ups, or actually allow users to verify your site's
authenticity (with confidence!).  Good luck!

PaulM

-----Original Message-----
From: szumlins@mac.com [mailto:szumlins@mac.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 18, 2002 5:52 PM
To: linux-user@egr.msu.edu
Subject: [GLLUG] Sick of SSL questions yet?

Okay, so I finally got the server working correctly by recompiling
everything from source on my test box.  My only goal with the whole SSL
connection was to ensure that if users are inserting a credit card #
into a form that the connection would be secure to the server.
Everything seems to be working fine, but like Ed said, I get a little
warning using IE saying that the issuing certificate is not verified. Is

there a way (for free, I have no budget to do this at all) to create a
secure credit card form using SSL, or am I just wasting my time.  I know

the users of the site ultimately won't understand jack about how this
all works, and I don't want a warning popping up telling them not to
trust the site.  Any ideas?

-Mike