[GLLUG] My recruitment efforts

Sean picasso@madflower.com
Thu, 25 Apr 2002 22:13:10 -0400 (EDT)

I would be willing to pitch in some time though too. I guess I am not
quite sure what they are looking for though.

I mean 3 days is hard to even cover the different philosophies of Unix
muchless get hands on experience..

I mean If _I_ was doing this, I would have to do a comaprison contrast of
Unix versus dos, mainframe, Macintosh, and embedded systems like PalmOS,
OS 9, Plan9, etc. before anything. The main points being job control,
function, and the chaining of small apps to make larger apps which touches
on portability, and development. Then go off into the different flavours
of unix and compare a sysV vs BSD to compare some of the main differences
and toss in some mutts like Linux, AIX, Solaris, MacOS X/NextStep, BeOS,
Irix, Unicos, HP-UX, etc.  with different philosophies and compare
strengths and weaknesses with emphasis on similarities.  Come back and
show the basic 10 commands, demonstrate piping, How to read a man page,
the traditional locations of the files, how the filesystem is set-up
(which could go partly under part 1), and where to find out more
information and how to RTFM or at least the ReadME's. And a discussion of
the different terminologies.

I think a really killer demonstrations of the configurability of Unix,
that is Linux specific, that people get the most freaked out about would
be compiling the kernel and installing it. Once you get that out of the
way and deal with bootloaders, you pretty much feel a lot more confident
about what you are doing (after about the 3rd time you screw it up. =) )
Which leads to backup and but emphasize don't be afraid to screw up
either. Which might lead to a demonstration of the ultimate
configurability (one of the philosophies of unix) exercise of building
your own linux on a floppy type of project ie like a linuxrouter project
type of thing.

Hardware differences would be a really cool addenum to this, and the
difference between a cheap ass CMOS environment and real machines that use
OpenFirmware (which essentially is almost its own OS.)

But I don't see anything in detail being covered in 3 days though.

Sean