[GLLUG] machine locks up, etc

Don Chorman chormand@msu.edu
Sun, 28 Apr 2002 11:21:01 -0400

> What's the make and model# of the motherboard?  If you don't know that,
> post the make and model# of the machine itself.  It's possible that the
> BIOS is trying to do power management on its own, which could cause
> this problem.  Or if the machine's APM implementation isn't up to par,
> things could get weird.  Try unloading the apm module or booting with
> "linux apm=off".

	The motherboard is an Asus CUV4X, with the latest BIOS. I checked the BIOS
settings, and I just disabled p.m. in the BIOS. I checked to see if APM was
being loaded using "lsmod", and I did not see APM listed. I will append the
output of the "lsmod", in the future if you would like to see it.
	One thing that I did was unplug network cable from the cable modem, while
the machine was unattended overnight. I am not sure if that would cause this
machine to lock up, in the case that it tried to renew a dchp lease. I will
leave the machine on to see if it will lock up again.

> To stop the connection at 9pm and then restart it at 6am, just do:
> /etc/init.d/network stop

I tried to do it this way, and it does not appear to work.

linux:/home/chormand # /etc/init.d/network stop
linux:/home/chormand # ping www.google.com
PING www.google.com (216.239.39.101) from 12.245.182.218 : 56(84) bytes of
data.
64 bytes from www.google.com (216.239.39.101): icmp_seq=1 ttl=46 time=44.690

I don't think that I should be able to ping anything outside the machine, if
the network is disabled.

Thanks for the help,
Don