[GLLUG] General programming question

Jason Justman justmanj@msu.edu
Thu, 01 Aug 2002 17:24:52 -0400

PHP should work ok for what you are looking for.  It can be pretty quick
to develop, thanks to the php online documenation
(http://www.php.net/manual/en/) and the ability to jump to a manual page
via www.php.net/pg_connect or www.php/(function_name_here).  of course,
using good development techniques of seperating application from
supporting libaries goes a long way (i recommend the 'require
"filename_here.class"' command).

look into using some templating library, such as phplib..  or if you are
up to it, write your own.  it will definately help in writing your code
and seperating portions of nasty html..   likewise for database access -
you can use the db abstraction tools from phplib or some other comination.

naturally, since you asked for which os would work the best - i would
recommend linux ;).

when you say 'concurrent users', do you mean like running apachebench
with -c100?  or say 100 users in a 5 minute period?  these two metrics
are vastly different.  it also depends on the complexity of the
strucuter of your code and the bottlenecks in the application.  are db
queries at fault for poor performance?  or is the interepted overhead of
php slowing you down?  if it's the latter, zend sells a product for
optimizing and compiling into zend bytecode (if you wish to re-sell this
to someone else)..

jason