[GLLUG] nfs question

Dpk dpk@egr.msu.edu
Wed, 7 Aug 2002 16:02:14 -0400

On Wed, Aug 07, 2002 at 03:28:32PM -0400, Mike Rambo wrote:

   I'm trying to access an nfs share from a server in one location on
   our wan (10.33.1.2) from our server at the shop (10.8.24.7). I am
   seeing time outs when I try to mount the share.  When I look at the
   log on the server supplying the share I see what appears to be an
   authentication success(?). The log says the message is repeated six
   times (as if the requesting server never hears the authentication
   success message?).

   How does this strike you guys? Might I be fighting against blocked
   ports on some of our vlan's?

I would check your router/firewall logs as rpc.* is a common thing to
block.  Have you ran tcpdump on each of the hosts to see if requests
and responses show up on both sides?

[snip]

   [root@fvserver /etc]# cat hosts.deny
   portmap:ALL
   lockd:ALL
   mountd:ALL
   rquotad:ALL
   statd:ALL

   [root@fvserver /etc]# cat hosts.allow
   portmap: 10.8.24.7
   lockd: 10.8.24.7
   rquotad: 10.8.24.7
   mountd: 10.8.24.7
   statd: 10.8.24.7

Not sure if this is done for security reasons, but tcp wrappers will
only check tcp traffic.  You will note in rpcinfo that these services
are also present over UDP and could still be accessed by others.

Dennis