[GLLUG] Zaurus questions...

Matt Graham danceswithcrows@usa.net
Wed, 7 Aug 2002 18:53:59 -0400

On Wednesday 07 August 2002 18:21, after a long battle with technology,
Darrel Clute wrote:
> I have a question regarding the Zaurus.  does it come with a
> packet sniffer like ethereal, or does it have the necessary
> packages to be able to install ehtereal?

http://killefiz.de/zaurus/showapps.php?cat=7

...tcpdump, no ethereal there.  There's gotta be *something* that can do
the things that ethereal does, but I haven't found it yet.  Porting
ethereal wouldn't be trivial--userspace Zaurus programs use the Qt
toolkit (or Java.  ICK!), and ethereal is in GTK--but it'd be doable.
Refining ethereal's busy UI to fit in a small screen could be a bit
tricky.

> I am considering getting a Zaurus since I want a *nix based handheld
> solution.

Remember that you'll need a CF wireless (or wired) network card to do
that tcpdump stuff, and those ain't cheap.  Theoretically it's possible
to use the included USB cradle for networking, but the cradle is
inconveniently large and really only useful for syncing.

I want to try the IR port out at some point.  If I can IR-sync the thing
with my laptop (USB sync works great) it'd be quite cool.

--
   Programmers are playwrights, computers are lousy actors,
   Users are vicious drama critics,