[GLLUG] ftp

Matt Graham danceswithcrows@usa.net
Mon, 26 Aug 2002 15:41:47 -0400

On Monday 26 August 2002 15:07, after a long battle with technology,
chuck williams wrote:
> is passive mode an option in command line ftp?
>
> I could find just "one" reference to it as PASV but that didn't help.
> Suppose I should keep on readin' n lookin' ...

It depends on the client.  Which one are you using?  The "standard"
lukemftp client (in /usr/bin/ftp , usually) defaults to passive FTP and
falls back to active FTP if passive doesn't work.  If you enter the
command "passive", it defaults to active FTP and won't use passive.
Enter "passive" again to switch.

ncftp does things in a similar way, you enter "passive on", "passive
off", or "passive optional" (the default, ncftp will choose to use
passive mode or not depending on what it thinks is best.)

PASV , as is suggested by its being in all-caps and only 4 letters long,
is a primitive command passed to the remote system over a raw
connection, much like HELO or USER or PASS or LIST.  The user of a
frontend (like /usr/bin/ftp ) should not have to use these primitive
commands.  These primitive commands can be useful sometimes though:

machine:~$ telnet mailhost.somewhere.org 110
Connected to mailhost.somewhere.org
Escape character is '^]'.
+OK FooMail POP3 server ready.
USER mhgraham
+OK please send PASS command
PASS example
+OK mhgraham is welcome here
LIST
+OK 0 messages
.
QUIT
+OK mhgraham FooMail POP3 server signing off.
Connection closed by foreign host.
machine:~$

...if you know these things, you can read your POP3 mail anywhere,
regardless of whether there's a mail client installed, no configuration
or installation of any other programs necessary, no track marks left on
the machine you're using.  The 4-letter codes are typically specified
in the relevant RFC.

--
   Love is a snowmobile racing across the Arctic tundra that suddenly
   flips over, pinning you underneath.  At night, the Ice Weasels come.