[GLLUG] Linux Beginner Book Quest

C. Ulrich dincht@securenym.net
Sun, 01 Dec 2002 19:19:03 -0700

Michael T. Watters II wrote:
> Also, IRC channels can be an excellent source of help.  The place I
> usually hang out is #grasshoppers on irc.oftc.net, most of the people
> there are pretty friendly and will help you if they can.

A bit of general advice to anyone who has never been on IRC before: if you're
not careful which channels you visit when looking for Linux help, you might
likely run across more than a couple that are filled mainly with pimply-faced
teenagers with extreme sexual identity problems who waste away their pointless
days by making fun of those who are new to Linux, IRC, or pretty much anything
else. They'll even form channels with names like #linux-help just to make fun
 of anyone who joins to ask a question. Trust me, I've been IRC'ing since I
had my first internet account and know how difficult it can be finding a group
of people worth talking to. I don't mean to discourage anyone who is thinking
of trying IRC, it's just that I've seen too many people get trolled by idiots
and walk away with the impression that IRC networks are filled with nothing
but unfriendly louts or that the Linux community is a condescending, irritable
bunch. Both of which are untrue.

Recommendations: In the end, you're more likely to get the answers you need by
reading docs, searching the web, and searching the newsgroups. When looking
for Linux help, IRC should be left as a last resort for problems that must be
solved immediately. Try to use networks and channels that are recommended by
someone else with more experience, such as the ones mentioned above.

--Charles Ulrich
http://bityard.net