[GLLUG] Mass emailing from Access Db

Ben Pfaff blp@cs.stanford.edu
12 Dec 2002 23:33:04 -0800

Brian Hoort <hoortbri@msu.edu> writes:

> We need to email custom messages to each of our entries/records in our
> database (Access). In short, I want to annually send each individual a
> copy of all the entries we have for them in our Db, so that they may
> respond if any address information, or other, has changed.

My first thought would be to use Perl.  Perl has interfaces to
many kinds of databases, and I wouldn't be surprised if Access
were among them.  Perl makes it easy to manipulate string data
with all of its regular expression support.  Perl also has
packages for composing mail and sending mail.

(I use a simple Perl program for my occasional small mail merge
job, actually.)